Monday 3 March 2008

It took how long?

"I have found the fittings for that old wooden curtain pole, will you fit it over the lounge door please?" She asked.
Six screws, how long can that take I thought, easy. "Of course I will dear." I replied.
So out came the tape measure, "How high dear?" well after some thought 90inches was too high so we settled on 84inches plus the width of the pole.
So I measured and then measured again to get it right, even got out the long spirit level.
Found some wall plugs, 6mm drill it said.
I will use my big electric drill, Walter I call it, (DeWalt DW566K), that won't wobble and I will get a good clean hole.
Drilled the first hole, I use a little blue thingy to stop the dust going everywhere, that was easy I thought, I will be drinking coffee in 10minutes time.
The fittings need 3 holes each side, so I drilled the other 5.
Now for the plugs. Oh dear! They were loose, very loose and getting looser, I had drilled into some very soft mortar.
Find some fatter plugs, of I went to hunt for them, eventually found some in a box in my bedroom of all places, but they were still loose also.
I know I have some special impregnated pads for jobs like this, so went off to find them.
Found them in a box out in the workshop, soon to be the utility room (where will I go then?).
So I soaked the pads and fitted the larger plugs, screwed in the six screws.
Then I fitted the pole and it looks good.
But 2hours for six screws! It had better stay there or it will be fire wood.

3 comments:

Inthemud said...

I have to do all my own DIY and had a huge task with curtain poles in this house as we have 5 windows in lounge and 3 in dining room! Glad you're such a useful man!!

Anyway, cam to tell you that you are the winner of my blog "guess what?" from yesterday! So well Done and do come and collect your bottle of bubbly button and read why I'm so pleased to get 40mph at last!

Inthemud said...

PS I see you are in sussex too, maybe you know the road, hence why you were so clear and sure with your answer!!

CAMILLA said...

Could do with you in my Cottage, I am no DIY expert, but I manage to do the jobs that HL has no intention of finishing, ie., curtain poles and the like.

Congratulations on winning Muddie's bottle of bubbly button.