Tuesday 11 December 2007

The spiritual side of me, part 1

When my first wife died, I felt that her spirit remained nearby until I had the closure of burying her ashes. I now have my memories.

That got me thinking of things spiritual.
Soul and spirit, the Greeks regarded them as separate, "psuche" for soul and "pneuma" for spirit.
The Christian bible talks of the the soul and spirit being separable like joint and marrow.
I believe we can host many spirits, but only have the one soul.
And the Christian baptism of Holy Spirit and Fire is like sorting out the undesirable bits.

It is all a bit guess work, we may find out the truth one day.

Some Christians use what they call: tongues and interpretation of what the bible calls an enigma, a mystery of our relationship with things spiritual.

But a puzzle it is, and some put a lot of effort into trying to understand, maybe one day all will be revealed.

As for relationships on this earth, some still has difficulty accepting my first wifes death after 10+years and that rubs off on others, comes across as being distant and difficult and getting the hump.

Sometimes such are called psychotic behaviour, but it is just folk wrestling with their inner emotions, emotions that they do not understand, emotions they would love to resolve.
Maybe the spirit trying to resolve its new relationship now something is missing.

Maybe the soul and spirit do understand, I wish they would let us all in on the secret sometimes.

Meanwhile I can only ponder the mysteries, is this a battle between soul and spirit, or within the spiritual realm?

If we accept that soul and spirit can be separated, then we can assume that this separation would lead an out of body experience.
The spirit being the higher levels of "intellect" would lead to an experience away from the confines of poorly functioning bits.

The Christian bible uses the allegory of "joint and marrow", to our modern understanding this would indicate that the spirit is within the soul, but if we consider the knowledge of anatomy available during the first centry we get a different picture.
In the first centry the body was bones and everything else, bone being a support structure and "muelos" being everything else.

This gives us the parallel that the soul is a support structure and the spirit is the life giving entity.

If we accept this analogy, then without spirit then the soul is, well, I don't know, I think I will come back to that.

If we then consider the re-joining, perhaps any errors in the union could be corrected at this point.
This would add credence to the practice of the spiritual healer.

But to have a too narrower definition of such things is dangerous and a gross underestimation of the complexities of the human makeup.

Now moving to communication betwixt earthly life and spiritual entity.

The Christian bible gives examples of such communication, it just warns against witchcraft, some Christians believe that if the spirit of a deceased person instigate communication, rather than communication being saught from us then that is OK. But none the less such paths are viable.
I must admit I have not been directly used in that way.

Looking at the whole Christian bible, there are lots of examples of communications between man and the spirit world, some which G-d approves of and some that come with a warning. And continuing today communication continues.

My own experiences as a Christian are through what we call the prophetic gifts. Explaining the past, helping in the present, and preparing one for the future. Maybe I will include some examples in a later blog.

Enough, I think for the first bit of blog, a little flavour of a side of me.

5 comments:

Milla said...

Interesting stuff, Peter, which I was following on the General Forum. I was wondering when you were going to take the plunge and blog. Fine taste too (my blog has the same pattern as yours, but is trivial and not deep). And pleased to be first to comment on your first blog.

Zoë said...

Hello Peter, I am glad you have decided to blog and be more visible too, always enjoyed our 'chats' elsewhere. Interesting subject and I will watch with interest to see how it develops. Best Wishes, Zoë

Faith said...

Ah found you! Thanks for blogging Peter. Interesting subject and I will actually reread your blog, and try and understand better. As a Catholic certain things are ingrained in me not to have anything to do with! (like witchcraft) but I am interested in all this.

Exmoorjane said...

I too am fascinated with matters of the soul and psyche, and all religions (though not following any one in particular) so I shall be following your blog with interest too. Very glad you have taken the plunge!
Jane

Cait O'Connor said...

I just want to say what Exmoor Jane has said!