Saturday 15 December 2007

Spirituality, mysticism and me, continuing.

In my last post I said:
The Christian practice of "laying on of hands" is equivalent in some ways to Reiki.

Here is a little more to aid understanding.

I am not an initiate of Reiki, but I understand that it is not a belief system, and it attunes to "Universal energy".
It uses some 20 or so hand positions in order to exchange energy, or can be performed at a distance. With just the simple intent to share healing.

Whereas the Christian healer uses spiritual energy imparted to them by their God. Hence the need to believe. Usually only touching a persons shoulder or head accompanied by a simple prayer. Sometimes with not touching at all and even at distance. Followed, sometimes, by some inspired words they feel that their Lord would have them pass on to the recipient.
In my experience too long a prayer demonstrates a lack of faith. We do not have to explain to God how to heal, He made us and sees all things.
The use of oil for annointing is purely symbolic, the oil is not magic, in bible times it would have been what ever was in the house. Poor people would have had low quality olive oil, whereas the richer would probably have had almond oil available.

Biblical accounts vary, but it is clear to me that the examples given were intended to show a flexibility of application.

1 comment:

Withy Brook said...

I don't read blogs much - I spend too much time in the common Room or Forums, but I just thought I would come and find out about you!! I like the bit here about length of prayer when praying for others. I am always pulling myself up short as I find myself telling Him what to do! And then I tell Him that He knows already, as if He didn't know that! Sorry, I am quite mad, but I am sure you will understand - I hope.