Friday 14 December 2007

Spirituality, mysticism and me.

People have often asked me, "what do you believe?"
So in an attempt to answer this and put my stake in the ground as it were, here are some thoughts.

Looking back over my life I can remember one evening having a floating feeling, floating up to the ceiling and looking down at my room, I had not been near any hallucinogenic drugs, but I do recall that this was following having "hands laid on me" during a service at our Methodist chapel. The church had very little teaching on such things, so I was left to ponder.

The laying on of hands for a Christian is the way in which a gifted person spiritually imparts to another. More on this later.

At I grew older I began to have the feeling that my life was being guided, rather than myself consciously choosing a path, it became clear that there was a kind of leading.
Being a Christian I chose to prayed, enquiring; "why?" The answer was like a parent to a young child, "because".

Now for the tricky bit, how does one receive an answer to prayer?
We have to make the assumption that if one is praying to a spiritual entity then you believe there will a reply and you are looking for a reply.
I have found that responses come in many forms, here are a few:
An overheard word, not just once and from different sources.
A word or sentence seems to have an unusual promenance on a page.
Or maybe a visual incidence than appears out of context.

These and other co-incidences begin to build a picture or impression as to what the reply might be. Sometime further clarification is needed.

This is where one can start to build up a relationship, in a similar manner to that which one builds with a lover, you pick up on little signs, you seem to develop your own special ways, your own special language, you know your lover deeper and deeper.

No comments: